Monday, July 30, 2012

June 25 - June 29 Sage Grouse Initiative/ Strategic Watershed Action Team


This week long trip to Pinedale, Wyoming for the Sage Grouse Initiative (SGI)/ Strategic Watershed Action Team (SWAT) was one of many longer trips I was able to attend. This was the first training I was able to participate in which I was very excited about. I learned a lot about my home county, the effects of the energy industry on wildlife, and how to monitor the range land. I wrote my advisor, James Wangberg and told him how my opinion and views have changed since the SGI-SWAT training. I have been rooted in the oil and gas industry all of my life as well as the ranching. I disagreed with some of the practices and actions that the energy companies decided to do, but I lived on the mentality of "Don't-bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you" and there wasn't much that I could do personally to change their decisions. Once I had the other side of the story it truly did open my eyes to some real issues in the county. While I was very disturbed by what I saw I did feel relieved at the same time knowing that the NRCS and other agencies were already doing what they could to turn this situation around.
SGI-SWAT Work Books
We spent a day touring different key areas around Sublette County where several speakers joined us to educate and answer any questions we had. Speakers from the Game and Fish to Oil and Gas Representatives came to speak on this initiative and the actions they are taking. A lot of collaboration  came into play and thusly, has became extremely successful. Throughout the trip I met many professionals through different agencies and they gave me some very good advice about work experience and what qualities they like in a person. We spent the whole week together and by the end created a lot of good relationships. We also had our fun too. My friend and fellow NRCS employee, Katlyn Schade and I were known as "The Twins." On one day we wore the same hat, shirt and jeans without knowing and the name stuck ever since. Her and I didn't have any issues with this since we are great friends and prior college roommates.

Our field trainings were held throughout the week were we monitored the range land for Murdock Cattle Company. This was my first chance to monitor an area and learn the basics. Our group leaders took the time to teach me the names of different grasses, how to identify them, and why they are important when looking at a range land situation. I was humbled by how little I knew and also grew a great respect for those who do this kind of work everyday. Terminology, practices, evidence, and data were some areas of importance and by the end of the day I could identify about six plants and give you some information about them in the area. Needless to say, I felt pretty good about myself! As they would say, "A Communications Intern going Range!" This might be true, but I held true to my origins and took more notes than needed as well as photos.
Madeleine Murdock, landowner and cousin and Haley Lockwood

During this trip, Chief Dave White came from Washington D.C. to look at the hard work and tour the county were conservation easements have been put into place and the positive progress SGI has had in the area. He joined us for several days where I met and talked with him about the work being done and what I hope to do after I graduate college. Which is a good question! A welcoming dinner and awards ceremony was held at the Pitch Fork Fondue in Pinedale where live music, a good dinner, and dancing ended the night. Chief Dave White received an award and greeted us during the dinner.  
Having a little fun at the Pitch Fork Fondue
 
Dennis Sun, Owner/editor of the Wyoming Livestock Roundup, Jennifer Hayward Sublette County DC, and Jonita Sommers, recipient of the Leopold Conservation award
The next seven photos are from the Double J Ranch outside of Daniel, Wyoming where another dinner and awards ceremony was held to congratulate the Sommers Grindstone Conservation Project, consisting of Albert Sommers and wife Sue, Jonita Sommers, and Maggie Miller, owner of Grindstone Cattle Company,  on their work and dedication. 19,000 acres were put into a conservation easement; one of the largest in the state.

Looking out over the Wind River Range on the Double J. Fontenell fire south of Big Piney is evident in this photo.

Albert Sommers, owner of Sommers Ranch and award recipient, with other conservation award winner in the back ground.

Maggie Miller, owner of Grindstone Cattle Company and conservation easement recipient with the Sommers Ranch, speaks on behalf of the award.

Jonita Sommers, sister to Albert Sommers also received this prestigious award with Katlyn Schade, SCEP in the Pinedale Field Office.

Carole Richie, cousin of Albert and Jonita Sommers is currently enrolling in a conservation easement.

Casy Sheley, Brian Jensen, William Woolston and Astrid Martinez look over Sage Grouse in a nearby field.

No comments:

Post a Comment